Sunday, February 27, 2011

Dear Bug: Our First Month Together

Dear Bug,

I can't believe that a month ago you were still bouncing around in my belly. I can no longer imagine life without you, nor would I want to. In this month, you have gone from being a virtual stranger to the person my entire world revolves around.

I have to admit, I really wasn't sure I wanted a baby. I was afraid because I knew my life would never be the same after you came around. But in this month I have come to realize that you are the something that was always missing from my life.

It hasn't been easy. All of books I read and research I did couldn't prepare me for just how much you changed my life. People told me I wouldn't be sleeping much and all of my time would be devoted to you. I somehow imagined that you'd spend a significant amount of time in your swing, or a crib or something and I'd be able to continue one with my day-to-day routine while you slept. But you are truly my Snuggle Bug. You LOVE being held and don't spend much time outside of my arms, though you will (thankfully) tolerate your co-sleeper in 2-3 hour stretches throughout the night. (By the way, you just spit up down my shirt and into my bra!)

We are learning so much together. I am slowly learning the things I need to know about you to keep you happy and healthy, and you have grown incredibly strong. You can hold your head up while you are on your tummy and even look around for a few seconds before taking a break. In the last week you discovered the animals hanging from the mobile on your swing, learned to smile when I smile, and rolled over from your tummy to your back once (though you haven't been able to repeat it... yet). We are also starting to figure out that whole breastfeeding thing and I can't tell you how entertaining it is to listen to your noises when you eat. Daddy says you feed like a baby velociraptor.

Sometimes I can't believe you are mine. You were already over 1/3 of mommy's height when you were born and your legs are so incredibly long that you are starting to hit the ends of your 0-3 month old feety jammies, though they are loose everywhere else. At your last doctors appointment you were in the 95th percentile for height and 53rd for weight, something very foreign to your short and chubby mom. But you have my brow, most noticable when you are angry, and a ton of hair, just like me. Your dad and I spend a lot of time figuring out which parts you inherited from whom.  It doesn't really matter because the parts fit together perfectly and you are absolutely stunning.

My life has changed this month is more ways than I ever could have imagined, but there has never been even a momentary wish that I could go back to my old life. There is nothing I have experienced that is more wonderful than being your mom, and I am so excited to watch you continue to grow.

Love always,

Your adoring Mommy Bug

No comments:

Post a Comment