Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Weigh In Wednesday: Week 1

Date: February 9th
Weight: 201 pounds
Pregnancy Weight Lost: 26 pounds
Next goal: 186 pounds

So, I told myself I wouldn't do it. 

I wouldn't be one of THOSE women who gains a crap-ton of weight during pregnancy.

I'd be active.  I'd eat right.  I wouldn't let the prego-lady-blues prevent me from doing what I needed to do.  I'd gain no more than the recommended 35 pounds.


Haha!  That's a joke.  I gained 60 pounds, and quickly.  I gained less than 10 in my last trimester. 

How did this happen?

Well, in the first trimester, I couldn't eat anything except for simple carbs without wanting to barf my guts out.  Sourdough bread.  White rice.  Mac and cheese.  Chips Ahoy cookies.  Gross, right?!!?   Oh, and the only thing that prevented the constant nausea I felt was eating this crap.

I'm normally a pretty healthy eater, but throughout my pregnancy fruits and vegetables sounded  like ass.  Most meats, especially chicken, made me nauseous.

Oh, and the worst/best thing ever happened.  I got a temporary reprieve from my lactose intolerance.  You know what that means.  ICE CREAM!  For the first time since I was about 12 I was able to eat as much ice cream as I wanted without spending the rest of the night doubled over in agony. 

So, 60 pounds later.  Here I am.

Well, not exactly 60 pounds.  2 weeks after Bug's arrival, I'm down 26 pounds. 

That puts me at a slim, trim... uh... I'm too embarassed to say.  I've NEVER weighed this much in my life, and I NEVER thought I'd be this big. 

Before I met DH, when I was dating the Dreaded-Ex, I hit quite a rough patch.  I  had a job working with severely autistic kids in a program that used food to reward students for appropriate verbal responses and other behaviors.  The job itself was torture emotionally, mostly because I let myself get too close to the students and their families.  Their setbacks made their way home with me, and my home life didn't provide any relief. The Dreaded-Ex plain and simply wasn't right for me.  We'd fight constantly and it was obvious to everyone but me that the relationship was going nowhere.  Instead of dealing with the job and the boyfriend that were both a poor fit for me, I ate all of the reward foods that I held in my pockets for the kids.  Soon enough, I weighed 196 pounds. 

My weight has fluctuated since then and I gained a nice little chunk of weight when DH and I started dating, this time for a completely different reason.  I was "fat and happy", but overall I've managed to stay active and keep my weight in the 160's.  At 5'4, that's still chubby, but not huge.

An now... I'm heavier than ever.  I weighed in this morning at 201 pounds.

Holy crap. 

But I'm not going to sit here and be sad about the extra junk in my trunk.

I'm going to eat well, and exercise when I can. 

My goal is to be back to my pre-prego weight by the time Bug is 6 months old, on July 25th.

As for mini goals, I'm hoping the next 15 pounds comes off almost as fast as the first 26.  I have to make an appearance at work on March 10th, so that's the date I'm setting for my first mini goal.  That's only 4 weeks away, but I have nothing but time on my hands. 

Right now my ability to work out is limited to walking, but by next week, I'd like to restart the Couch to 5k.  I was doing a 5k three times a week before I got pregnant, so starting off slowly shouldn't be too much of an issue.  I'm not going to follow a specific weight loss program, I'll just try to make healthy choices until my weight loss slows down. 

I'd love to hear your own post-pregnancy weight-loss stories.  Share below!

No comments:

Post a Comment