Monday, January 17, 2011

False Labor

On Saturday night I started having what I think was contractions.  My doctor explained that it would feel like pain shooting from the top of my uterus and working its was down.  That's not what it felt like.

I felt a very intense tightening at the top of my uterus, followed by tightening in the rest of my uterus and a teeny bit of back pain.  It felt like the the Braxton Hicks contractions that I have been having for the past 2 months, only way more intense and at regular intervals. 

At about 11 pm, these contractions were happening every 7 minutes.  DH was starting to get anxious and wanted to know if we should start heading to the hospital.  Knowing that they'd turn us away with contractions this far apart, I suggested we go try to get some sleep and wake up early to get the pets ready for being on their own.  We had a list of things we still wanted to do, and from everything I'd read, we should have plenty of time.

DH kept excitedly squealing "Tomorrow we are going to have a baby!" and we cuddled and talked about what she might be like.  Soon after he drifted off to sleep.

It took several hours before I could fall asleep.  The contractions stayed about 7 minutes apart, but were getting a little more painful.  I was too uncomfortable and excited to sleep.

I woke up early, and noticed that the contractions had slowed significantly.  They were now about 20 minutes apart.  I figured this was caused by innactivity, and decided that we should start getting ready anyway, and perhaps the activity would start the contractions again.

I was scheduled to do brunch with my sister, but DH and I know full well that if anyone in my family gets wind of labor, they'll all be over in no time flat.  We've decided we want to go through the delivery together, ALONE, so I made up a story about feeling nauseous and declined the brunch invite.  My sis hates all things vomit and she didn't question it.

DH is responsible for doing payroll at work, and payroll needed to be done this Monday.  To make sure that no one went unpaid, DH went in for a few hours and got as much work done as he could.  I stayed and cleaned up around the house and did a little more lesson planning.

Sometime during the late morning and early afternoon the contractions stopped. 

And they haven't started back up.

And people are still calling, and facebooking and texting excitedly to see if the baby is coming.

And I am starting to feel like I am letting people down.

I feel like I'm going absolutely nutty.  Everytime I feel a weird kick I get excited and then quickly realize that nothing is happening.  I know she'll come when she is ready, but I wish I knew when.

I have been knitting and crochetting like crazy to try to keep my mind occupied.  I've made a scarf and and pair of crochetted Mary Jane's.  Here's my first attempt:

The one on the left was try #1 and my second attempt is on the right.  I'm going to make a 3rd to replace #1, you know, now that I have some extra time on my hands.  Note the ladybug buttons, they are my favorite. 

I'm super mopy since DH had to work today.  Apparently, everyone else has MLK day off so that they can call me and ask where the baby is. 

This sucks.  I'm ready for the baby to fall out.

No comments:

Post a Comment