Sunday, January 16, 2011

Mommy vs. the TV: Distraction Free Dining

Our TV is insanely huge. It is so huge that it doesn't fit into the gigantic built-in shelf that seemed perfect when we bought this house. It is so large, in fact, that everything in the house orbits around it.

The TV was here before I was.  I met the TV on my first date with DH.Our first date was on December 22nd and neither of us had started our Christmas shopping. We'd met few months before (a sordid tale for another time) and had been chatting on the phone for awhile. A mall date seemed like a safe, easy first date, but we never made it to the mall. DH, who I think secretly had less than pure intentions, wasn't feeling well and opted out of the mall trip but offered to have me over to get a pizza and watch a movie (or makeout on the couch).

I should have realized then that the TV would become the other woman in our relationship. That beezy was always around to distract one of us. She gave him college football and March Madness and me all of the crap reality TV I could handle.

We were both very fond of her until I realized something.

All of our time together is spent in front of the massive beast.

We don't talk, we don't do, we just watch.
 
And it is driving me crazy.

I don't mind it when the two of us are apart. She was great while I was home alone during winter break, resting my bloated whale feet. And she is fine for him to be with when I'm not here. But when we are together it drives me crazy that we both become these glass-eyed zombies, drooling in front of her. No interaction, no thinking, nothing. Bug's impending arrival is only making me hate the TV more. I keep feeling myself becoming more & and more glued to the couch, porking out and feeling disgusting.

The most disgusting thing we do is eat in front of the TV.

Mindlessly.

Shoveling.

We've both have gained too much weight during this pregnancy and I can't take it any more. Its not good enough for me, and it most certainly isn't good enough for Bug.

Now, I'm not going to pretend I am going to be one of those parents who managed to keep their kids life TV free. Though I think it would be a good idea, I know that its one of those things that new parents adamantly decide to do, and fizzle out before their child's first birthday. I am realistic. But the amount of TV we watch is out of control. So after having a complete psycho pregnant lady meltdown this weekend, we agreed that we needed to start somewhere.

Unfortunately for me, DH happens to feel the same way about my cell phone that I feel about the TV.


We agreed Sunday-Thursday, we would have a family dinner, distraction free.

We'll see how it goes. With a new baby scheduled to make her arrival at any second, I know that there will be bumps in the road, but I think its important that we unplug for a little while and its something I want to work at. And since this is the season of resolutions, why not?

I'm curious to hear your feedback. Do you do family dinners?
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment